What is the point of a retrospective?
Continuous improvement over delayed perfection -Mark Twain
For the team to improve use a little bit each sprint. that's it.
What are the two key ingredients?
- Care more about the team then how they come across.
- Can read room
- Ask the right questions
People who care about improving
- A group of people who don't to improve will not
- A safe enviroment
Tools/Techniques/Patterns I find useful:
- Iskikawa Diagram. Useful diagram for route cause analyses
- 5 Why's. One of most popular route cause analyses tool. Tip: be comfortable not knowing where the journey is going.
- Influence diagram. Useful for modelling the impacts negative reinforcing loops. Kent Beck uses influence diagrams to explain not having enough time to test
- Fog Grid. Useful framework for incremental behavior change
- Dot Voting/Dotmocracy. Quick wisdom of crowds technique to prioritize
- A simple retro pattern.
- 7 step retro agenda.
- Scrum Guides official explanation of a Retro.
- If you are looking for some ideas to spice up your retro.
Please share your experiences/suggestions below...